Q: What is an Enrolled Agent?

A: Enrolled Agents are tax professionals licensed to represent taxpayers before the IRS. The Enrolled Agent designation dates back to 1884. Many Taxpayers were victimized by unscrupulous representative when claiming losses in post Civil War days. Congress recognized a need to regulate individuals representing citizens dealing with the Treasury Department and create the Enrolled Agent credential. Today, Enrolled Agents assist taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service.

Q: How can an Enrolled Agent help me?

A: They prepare tax returns, answer questions regarding national, state, and local tax laws as well as represent taxpayers in disputes with state and the IRS.

Q: How else can an Enrolled Agent benefit me?

A: They provide tax assistance for estates, trusts, partnerships, corporations and other entities that are required to report taxes.

Q: How are Enrolled Agents different from other tax practicioners?

A: They are required to demonstrate their competence in tax matters before they represent a taxpayer before the IRS.

Q: Do all Enrolled Agents specialize in taxation?

A: Yes

Q: Who gives Enrolled Agents the authority to represent taxpayers before the IRS?

A: They receive their authority from the federal government instead of the state governments.

Q: Are Enrolled Agents required to renew their licensing?

A: Yes. They must complete 72 hours of continuing professional education every three years to maintain their status.

Q: Couldn’t an Attorney or CPA represent me before the IRS?

A: It depends. CPAs and Attorneys are licensed by their states and are limited in representation to those states in which they are licensed. They don’t always specialize in taxes. Enrolled agents on the other hand can practice in all 50 states and all U.S. territories. Enrolled Agents do specialize in taxes.

Q: Where my I obtain additional information about Enrolled Agents?

A: For more information on Enrolled Agents go to: http://www.naea.org